Okay, I have come up with a python script to interact with the
LocationCriterionService, which has helped me learn more about the API, but
am still having the issue with the locations returned from the API not
being vaild

If this helps anyone, the code I am using is:
def find_names(client):
  location_criterion_service = client.GetService(
      'LocationCriterionService', version='v201806')

  selector = {
      'fields': ['Id', 'LocationName'],
      'predicates': [{
          'field': 'Id',
          'operator': 'EQUALS',
          'values': 21179
      }]
  }

  return location_criterion_service.get(selector)

client = adwords.AdWordsClient.LoadFromStorage()
find_names(client)

Shamelessly stolen and modified from
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/adwords-api/cgzG6rfPW7A/TmBI5Czv_-MJ

this returns
[{
     'location': {
         'id': 21179,
         'type': None,
         'Criterion.Type': 'Location',
         'locationName': 'Vermont',
         'displayType': 'State',
         'targetingStatus': 'ACTIVE',
         'parentLocations': [
             {
                 'id': 2840,
                 'type': None,
                 'Criterion.Type': 'Location',
                 'locationName': 'United States',
                 'displayType': 'Country',
                 'targetingStatus': 'ACTIVE',
                 'parentLocations': []
             }
         ]
     },
     'canonicalName': 'Vermont,United States',
     'reach': 725000,
     'locale': None,
     'searchTerm': None,
     'countryCode': None
 }]

for a known location, as expected, but just an empty list for some of these
longer locations Ids that I have been seeing

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Mathew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/f1a92de5-89e1-4a82-8928-bc78fca6ea11%40googlegroups.com.