The new Google Ads API
<https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/start> has addressed
this issue. The UserInterestService
<https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/reference/rpc/google.ads.googleads.v2.services#google.ads.googleads.v2.services.UserInterestService>
 implements
an additional availability
<https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/reference/rpc/google.ads.googleads.v2.common#google.ads.googleads.v2.common.CriterionCategoryAvailability>

attribute to surface which user interests can be used in a given context.
For example, running a GAQL query of

SELECT user_interest.name, user_interest.availabilities,
user_interest.taxonomy_type,
       user_interest.user_interest_parent
FROM user_interest
WHERE user_interest.taxonomy_type IN ('AFFINITY', 'IN_MARKET')

will return

{
      "userInterest": {
        "resourceName": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80001",
        "taxonomyType": "IN_MARKET",
        "name": "Autos & Vehicles",
        "availabilities": [
          {
            "channel": {
              "availabilityMode": "CHANNEL_TYPE_AND_ALL_SUBTYPES",
              "advertisingChannelType": "SEARCH",
              "includeDefaultChannelSubType": true
            },
            "locale": [
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ar"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "bg"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ca"

    {
      "userInterest": {
        "resourceName": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80006",
        "taxonomyType": "IN_MARKET",
        "name": "Motorcycles",
        "userInterestParent": "customers/7502950076/userInterests/80171",
        "availabilities": [
          {
            "channel": {
              "availabilityMode": "CHANNEL_TYPE_AND_ALL_SUBTYPES",
              "advertisingChannelType": "SEARCH",
              "includeDefaultChannelSubType": true
            },
            "locale": [
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "ar"
              },
              {
                "availabilityMode": "LANGUAGE_AND_ALL_COUNTRIES",
                "languageCode": "cs"
              }