The best way around this is using the *validateOnly request header
<https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/call-structure>*.
When you add this header (and set to 'true') the API call will be checked
but not executed. When the check fails the error is reported.

You use it with, for instance, trying to create a campaign. Now you can get
dozens of different errors (eg. name already exists, name is empty, name is
too long, user has to agree with latest Terms&Conditions, account disabled,
etc.etc.) but one of them refers to insufficient rights.

Get the idea?
Note: I am not sure if validateOnly is supported on the newer Ads API. It
hasn't come up for me yet...