I have a developer key associated with a production manager account, but
trying to use the API generates DEVELOPER_TOKEN_NOT_APPROVED errors.

So I tried following instructions at
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/accounts-overview#test_accounts
 but
they aren't very clear and don't work.

I created a Test Manager account using one of my other Google accounts, and
used its ID as the client_customer_id in adwords.yaml.

Using the production manager account's developer token with the API
generates USER_PERMISSION_DENIED errors.

Is there any way to test the API with a test account or do I have to wait
for the developer token to be approved?