Thanks Ben!

Adding the field mask appending to the documentation would be awesome.

It also seems odd to me that using the old campaign as the base object in
the field mask helper caused issues. I would expect this is the intended
way of creating a field mask (comparing the new values to old values),
however in this case the API was resistant to the explicit removal of the
bidding_strategy field even though another one of the unioned fields was
added. I would expect this might be more of an issue with the API that
isn't worth addressing explicitly in the SDK?

Will

On Friday, December 10, 2021 at 11:34:19 AM UTC-5 adsapi wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Thanks for letting us know. Nadine passed this issue along to me as I'm
> the maintainer of the Python client library. I see you also posted a
> related issue to that repo, which is great, I'll respond there as well.
> Meanwhile will let you know that this is a known behavior of the field mask
> helper. When comparing two protobuf messages to generate field mask, the
> field mask helper can't tell the difference between a field that is not
> set, and a field is set to its default value (i.e. 0 is the default for
> most numeric fields). So in such a case, you would need to manually append
> this field to the field mask.
>
> I noticed that our documentation
> <https://developers.google.com/google-ads/api/docs/client-libs/python/empty-message-fields>
>
> doesn't specify this, so I'll get this updated ASAP.
>
> Thanks!
> Ben, Google Ads API Team
>

> ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2Rw2hc:ref

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/adwords-api/dae27310-f5e3-4b35-a00d-59205d6ed4a8n%40googlegroups.com.
      • ... Will Schymik
      • ... Will Schymik
      • ... Will Schymik
  • Re... 'Google Ads API Forum Advisor' via AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum