Re: 'hough I abjure the layman and his kitchen-table English, I can't do it
without a final word in his defense.   Granted, he uses the misleading word
'real'
but I'd claim his usage is more approvable than Derek's. He would say the
metallic structure in Paris we call the 'Eiffel Tower' is "real", and
Santa's
factory is "not real". Derek says they are both "real". I maintain the
layman's
distinction "between the real and the imaginary" is worth preserving, though
in
stuffier, more defensible lingo: "between the notional and the
non-notional".

Derek suggests he is puzzled by the distinction, but I have little doubt he
sees it well enough, and accepts it. But by insisting they are both "real"
he
obliterates the layman's good point.'

I'm not sure I follow the all of Cheerskep's post but I do follow this bit -
or anyway think I do.

I can certainly see the distinction between an object such as the Eiffel
Tower and an imaginary object such as Santa's factory.  That is, in a world
in which the only things that can counted as real are those whose existence
can be verified by a kind of open, public inspection, the Eiffel Tower is
real and Santa's factory is certainly not. (That is the layman's
understanding that I think Cheerskep is referring to.)

But is that the only kind of world we inhabit?  Getting away from children's
fantasy for a moment, there are all kinds of things that are very real to me
- memories, hopes, fears, joys (wish there were more!) - which don't wait
upon public assent to achieve this status, and which would probably not be
susceptible to it anyway (particularly since I am no doubt only half aware
of many of them myself). And what about the field of history?   Does any
interpretation of history have the public verifiability of the Eiffel
Tower?  Yet for many people certain interpretations of history (and
politics) are very, very real (often far too real I would say...)

Which leads us to a strange paradox. If we regard the 'Eiffel Tower' test of
reality as the most (or only) reliable one, those things that matter to us
most - our hopes, fears, joys, sorrows, and maybe our political beliefs -
are the things that are the least real. Very odd, surely, because people do
all kinds of things - even kill other people, for example - in the name of
their hopes, fears etc, and their political beliefs. But no one I imagine
ever did anything very significant in the name of the Eiffel's Tower's
existence or non-existence.

Again I have probably wandered off Cheerskep's point

DA