Borg,

We discussed this a while back but I didn't have specifics back then so I am
bringing it back to the list for another round.

In august I am taking a backpack, self-guided, alpine Sitka blacktail deer
hunting trip in SE Alaska with my son and good friend.

The basics are we are dropped off an sea level on a float plane and we are
hiking up to the alpine around 300 feet ( so low for alpine). Completely on
our own for 8 days.

Everything we have will be on our back. So weight is a large concern.

I am the geek at the company. They can handle basic help desk, and fixing
and installing customers without me. But if an AP dies or a backhaul drops
things will be difficult without me to troubleshoot. I have decided I will
need the ability to get online and VPN in.

Basic needs, will be winbox, webbrowser ( log into an AP) and other basics.
Nothing heavy.

I will have an garmin inreach for texting and emailing communication.

I will carry my laptop and an extra battery or may buy something lighter if
I can find an acceptable unit.

What I need help with is the Satellite terminal unit.

I am considering two models.

Hughes 9202 BGAN Terminal and the Huges 9211 BGAN Terminal.  The 9202 is
lighter by about a pound. That matters a lot to me. I will be carrying an
extra battery for whatever unit I decide on. Both units tell me I will get
IP broadband speeds up to 464 kbps. I can live with that if I get those
speeds and can VPN through it and work through pings, winbox and the gui on
cambium backhauls and APs.

I know I need to be able to get clear skies to the south I can deal with
that. What I don't know is are these connections stable can I depend on it
to work at close to speeds advertised?

I have a test unit scheduled to be shipped to me next week to try but wanted
to find out if anyone has used one of these units for similar work?

Best Regards.

Brandon Yuchasz