+1. Just because a venture goes through multiple rounds does not mean it's a failure. The mere fact that it got a second or third round could imply that something good is going to happen. OTOH, something like 8 or 9 ventures in 10 will be failures. You can't win them all.

Google, Facebook, and Paypal (to name just a few) went through multiple rounds (at least 4) before going public.

On 7/7/2018 4:34 PM, Tim Hardy wrote:
Who said anything “failed” yet?  This is extremely common in these kinds of startups that will go through several rounds of financing.  I’ve been through the VC process and undoubtedly the risk is spread among several firms.  They must be drinking the kool-aide and feel they have a good shot at convincing the FCC to allow their concept in 38 or 3.5 GHz.  Worth the risk if you consider the return as Google or some other well healed venture will buy it out (if it actually works!) - at least thats what they’re hoping.  Either way the principals of the company are set and stand to make a lot more if it proves in.  VC is a gambler’s paradise but all it takes is one big hit to make it worthwhile.  The guy behind this was CEO of Aereo and look how that panned out.

It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out..

On Jul 7, 2018, at 6:09 PM, Rory Conaway <r...@triadwireless.net> wrote:

This is insane.  I can’t believe any investment group followed up and gave them more money after the first two rounds were a failure.

Rory

From: AF [mailto:af-boun...@af.afmug.com] On Behalf Of Tim Hardy
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 1:23 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Starry raises $100M for 802.11-based fixed wireless rollout | FierceWireless

Their current business model is based on experimental licenses since the spectrum they’ve been using is subject to several NPRMs at the FCC.  They have been using 38200 - 38600 MHz since Feb 2016 and renewed this license twice since then.  The most recent renewal extended the band to 37000 - 38600 MHz.  They also recently filed an experimental application for a 3550 - 3700 MHz Bai Cells system in Boston.  I’m not sure of the legality of using an experimental license to provide a commercial service?

A search of ECFS shows that most of their money has been spent lobbying the FCC.  They have filed 39 separate pleadings along with several in-person ex-parte meetings since May of 2016.  Not hard to imagine where the money went.  It’s interesting that their most recent application lists Ira Keltz, Principal Engineer at DLA Law Firm as the technical contact.  Until about 1/2 year ago, Ira was Deputy Chief of the FCC’s OET Bureau.  Not making any judgements - just all public information from the FCC’s web site.