So does the problem actually come from having the API service exposed to
the internet, not winbox (i.e. if you have winbox exposed to the internet,
but API is disabled, you should be fine)?

I think I have API disabled on all of our Mikrotiks that are exposed to the
internet, and all the other services are blocked, so we should be safe on
anything that's still running old firmware anyway.