Couple different versions:

1) Layer 1 only:  Fiber from each house to a neighborhood node.   Similar
to all those strange verizon buildings throughout the city except smaller.
Provider can build/buy transport into the node and rent rack space/power.
When a sub signs up, they lease the strand to the sub.

2) Layer2: Generally a GPON system where each provider gets their own
profiles etc.  Sometimes include own routing instance as well so all a
provider has to do is bring their bandwidth to the main data center and
connect their subs.  Danville VA has a pretty good example.
https://aem-dev.calix.com/solutions/open-access.html

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM Christopher Gray <
cg...@graytechsoftware.com> wrote:

> What you picture an "open" residential fiber network looks like? Any
> examples of government funded / owned systems and how ISPs are allowed to
> operate on that system?
>
> In a basic configuration, I see:
> Data Center <-transport-> Town Central Office <-FTTH-> Customer
>
> [I picture the network operator managing the system and its hardware, and
> an ISP would gain access to a connection from the Data Center to the
> Customer for a fixed price. The ISP would be provided with a QinQ tunnel
> that would be untagged at the customer location. Any identified outages or
> service requests would be provided to the network operator.
>
> If a new customer wanted service, the ISP would contact the network
> operator and the appropriate contractor would complete the installation.]
>
> Am I missing something, or what other was would such a network typically
> be run?

Carl Peterson

*PORT NETWORKS*

401 E Pratt St, Ste 2553