My suggestion is to convert to digital then store in the cloud somewhere like
dropbox or Google Drive. The nice thing about that is you can view them
directly from the on line source if you have a good internet connection. Burn
to disk when needed but the problem with disks is that it is very common for
them to delaminate over time. They can last for a long period but having an on
line backed up copy to them write again to the media storage flavor of the
year/time period is where I am eventually going. Just need to get one of these
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0785H3FGN/?coliid=I1HNZ79CDMOO8F
<https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0785H3FGN/?coliid=I1HNZ79CDMOO8F&colid=31JHUU9B9S4LN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it>
 &colid=31JHUU9B9S4LN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

It’s only for 8 MM film but maybe they have a 16 MM version. If you can’t find
one of those I would consider some sort of light box converter with a newer
camera. This device looks interesting for $40 and your smart phone to scan old
negative photos
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MTKNTPK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1
<https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MTKNTPK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07MTKNTPK&pd_rd_w=Gw4xg&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=K2rBO&pf_rd_r=41H9DMHGPBFQ3GJ431K0&pd_rd_r=d22ce259-8926-11e9-b96b-b7864d6bce3e>

&pd_rd_i=B07MTKNTPK&pd_rd_w=Gw4xg&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=K2rBO&pf_rd_r=41H9DMHGPBFQ3GJ431K0&pd_rd_r=d22ce259-8926-11e9-b96b-b7864d6bce3e

Since you already have the movies on VHS, this would probably be a much quicker
and easier solution. The time it takes to set up and watch the films go through
a machine and babysit things like splices no breaking is a lot more than you
may be willing to put in to the project. For $80 this would work quite well
https://smile.amazon.com/VIDBOX-VCS2M-Video-Conversion-Suite/dp/B00ND0E7FS/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=movie+transfer+digital

<https://smile.amazon.com/VIDBOX-VCS2M-Video-Conversion-Suite/dp/B00ND0E7FS/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=movie+transfer+digital&qid=1559913866&s=electronics&sr=1-26>
 &qid=1559913866&s=electronics&sr=1-26 or something as simple as this for $13
https://smile.amazon.com/REDGO-Video-Capture-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01E5ITE2W/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=VHS+to+digital+converter

<https://smile.amazon.com/REDGO-Video-Capture-Converter-Adapter/dp/B01E5ITE2W/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=VHS+to+digital+converter&qid=1559914202&s=electronics&sr=1-5>
 &qid=1559914202&s=electronics&sr=1-5

Thank You,