  From: Ken Hohhof
  To: memb...@wispa.org
  Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 9:23 AM
  Subject: Re: [WISPA Members] T-Mobile plans to cover 200 million
consumerswith 5G by end of the year

  All the buzz is about peak speed from basestation to mobile device, but I
think there are other factors, especially as regards competition for WISPs.  I
think data caps, prices, and backhaul capacity are big considerations that
don’t get talked about much.

  I’m already seeing customers bitch or actually cancel their home Internet,
saying “my cellphone downloads faster if I turn off WiFi”.  This has nothing to
do  with 5G.  They are correct that 4G LTE can typically download at 25 Mbps on
a lightly loaded cell tower which is usually the case in rural areas.  And
people already have cellphones with data plans and increasingly use their
phones for everything.  So using cellular data is essentially free because they
have it anyway.  Maybe instead of cancelling their WISP service, they could
increase their speed tier to something above our lowest speed, but that would
cost money.  Cellular doesn’t have speed tiers, it’s best effort.  But for now,
the customer does a speed test and decides it’s faster,  at least faster than
our lowest speed tier.

  I really wonder what’s going to happen if companies like T-Mobile/Sprint
really go after the rural fixed wireless market.  I look at the backhauls to
cell towers in our area, and most of them have exactly the same as us, it’s a
gigabit microwave link to another tower.  Those are not easily upgraded to 10
or 100 gigabits.  They would have to run fiber to all the towers, which is
something they haven’t chosen to do yet.  One tower we are on along with VZ
Wireless, they put in handholes about 5 years ago like they were going to run
fiber out from town, but then decided against it and ran a 6 GHz link from
another tower 5 miles away.  A few of their towers are fiber fed, but the
majority are fed via microwave links.

  Then there’s the issue of data caps and pricing.  If people really start
ditching their cable or WISP broadband at home for 4G/5G cellular, how long
before the speeds either plummet or they start imposing/enforcing data caps?  I
think most of the “unlimited” plans actually have fine print that says you can
be slowed to 3G speed if the network is congested.  Will the cellular carriers
really build their infrastructure so people can use unlimited data at 5G or
even 4G speeds, even while at home?  It seems to me that data caps and premium
pricing will come into effect.  Maybe not in dense urban areas where they can
really run fiber to every light pole.  But what about WISP territory?

  For now though,  I’m actually losing customers to cellular, and 5G has
nothing to do with it, not even the 5G hype.  There was a wave of this several
years back basically because people had family share plans and could add a
mobile hotspot for like $20/month, but most of them ran into the monthly data
cap on hotspot usage.  Now I think it’s driven partly by the shift to doing
everything on your phone.  So the kids whine that apps download faster on
cellular data so the parents ask why are we paying for home Internet if it’s
not making our phones faster?