Steve,

Increasing the clutter resolution greatly increases the processing time/power
requirements. It’s not much unlike the data and processing requirements when
going to a higher resolution picture or video display. The data size
exponentially increases (think like the inverse square law). There are ways to
improve this. In the case of radio mobile you can run propagations for multiple
sites in the command line batch mode and use more than one processor on the
computer. Not easy but possible. Personally I use my GIS software as much as
possible to do any heavy lifting before I get to the propagation stage. That
software uses the GPU’s on my video card as parallel computing cores. For
things like processing LIDAR data or resampling clutter to a higher resolution
GIS is the key and processing horsepower is king.

The terrain data today is publically available at 10 meter resolution. I will
try to attach a very crude white paper I put together many years ago that shows
terrain data/resolution in pictures to give a person a better understanding of
the topic. Better yet I will just put it in a public dropbox folder and link to
the papers. These are very old documents (circa 2005-2006) and I made them back
when the only clutter data available was 1 km resolution and BEFORE Radio
Mobile had any clutter tuning abilities.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp1m3x92uhyg96u/AAD85kuOO6j-lJtsKRi9Y594a?dl=0.
These papers in the folder were never made in to anything that is publication
quality, I just made them to use as a quick explanation guide using images. The
capability and quality of Radio Mobile at the time was not as good as it is
today either. Back in those days Roger was always having to listen to me whine
and requesting new features….lol

Clutter data for the most part is really just used to add additional
attenuation to your free space loss calculations in addition to any fade
margins you add to the plot that account for variations such as weather and
changing of the leaves etc. Good radio propagation practice has you design for
your worst case situations (summer time with leaves on the trees etc.) with the
fade margins also set to deal with fluctuations in noise floor that still
leaves enough signal to noise to make sure you can achieve modulation rates to
deliver the speed tier you sold. This fact is going to be required now in your
new FCC form 477 reporting. It will no longer be good enough to show you can
cover an area, but you must also report the speed you can actually deliver to
that area. You can’t claim to deliver 50 meg download if you can’t achieve good
enough SNR to get your radios to have that modulation rate.

To answer your last question. LIDAR is just going to give you the first echo
reflections, not the underlying terrain elevation data. The USGS has already
gone through the pain to get the good ground elevation separate from clutter
and published that in the National Elevation Dataset (NED). 10 meter resolution
is pretty darn good even if you have higher resolution clutter data to overlay
on top. Unless you have areas where the slope of the terrain changes
drastically in more than 10 meters distance horizontally, the interpolation
process does not introduce that much error over the reality of the ground
truth. You can however go out and manually survey specific locations and
integrate that data through GIS processes if required. For critical and
expensive microwave paths that just have to work, this is not out of
consideration since you just have to gather ground truth data over that path
and not a whole geographic area.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com