First I have to find the right energy to launch.  I bought one of those well
sounding units Bill has to see how they are doing essentially the same thing.
While I want distance, I also want to see the reflections etc.

From: Adam Moffett
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 1:59 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT Project update

Ah....so you want the echoes, but you don't want secondary sounds interfering
with picking up the echoes.

Big tuning fork?  Let it ring for 100ms and then stop the vibration.  The sound
travels 34m in that 100ms, so your dead zone is about 100 ft.  You can probe
100ft with a rod though.

Oh....what about a "launch box"?  Get a 100ft of conduit bent into a coil and
connect that to the pipe being tested.  Make it long enough that the secondary
noises from your emission source are over before the first real reflection
comes back.

-Adam