you are only comparing SFP transceiver cost. The reason why it is dead is transport equipment and switch equipment you pretty much are burning a 100G port to do 40g there are some 100G 2x40 transponders out there but they are the same cost as a 200G 2x100G transponder so if you go to order a 40G wave service it will cost you the same as a 100G maybe more if they have to use an OTU4 to 40GLANPHY card. As well most switches being deployed by providers are 100G/25G/10G and don't have 40G ports. so you hae to burn a 100G port to provide 40G therefor the cost is priced accordingly.

Is it dead in the data center space for the most part to because the power requirements vs speed is horrible uses almost as much power as a 100G and only get 40% of the bandwidth. The power for a 25G is comparable to 10G. Starting to see 25G IX connection options as well.

Don't worry you are going to start seeing a bunch more 25G options coming out because the demand is growing. There are already companies starting to sell 25G channelized DWDM optics. The price at the moment is high because they are new and the demand is low, but will greatly reduce the cost the more that the utilization grows.

On 4/24/2020 10:07 AM, Steven Kenney wrote:
That is up for debate but we'll see in a few years.  I'd rather jump to 40 than 25.  You almost defeated your own point stating you have a lot of 40G laying around.  Price has come down on them and transceivers are not as expensive either. Personally I'd rather jump to 100 :)

40G transceivers I can get for most models for $55.  (short range)  Same price for 25G!  Why bother with 25?
Short range 100G are under $200 each.

--
Steven Kenney
Network Operations Manager
WaveDirect Telecommunications
http://www.wavedirect.net
(519)737-WAVE (9283)

*From: *"Kurt Fankhauser" <lists.wavel...@gmail.com>
*To: *"af" <af@af.afmug.com>
*Sent: *Friday, April 24, 2020 10:03:36 AM
*Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] CCR2004 coming out

Dennis,how many of these do you have on order?

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 9:42 AM Mike Hammett <af...@ics-il.net <mailto:af...@ics-il.net>> wrote:

    25G will be far more common than 40G.
    40G is dead and has been dead for years. I wish that wasn't so
    because I have a lot of 40G switches that I'd love to connect to
    things, but that's not going to happen.

    -----
    Mike Hammett
    Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>