I have found that you don't want to make it too difficult to break into a
tower site.If they are remote, which most of mine are, we have a lock that
can be cut. I try to keep the curious and casual thieves out and try to
show an effort to keep the kids off the tower. Other than that. You just
give someone a reason to damage crap as they break in.

As a tower owner that owns a number of towers without any of my equipment
on them, explain to me why I would pay for a camera system? If I do, I have
to pay for connectivity to watch them or some type of service. The only
thing anyone can do is either steal grounding or cut the thing down.
Everything else is the tenant's problem. I don't know how others do it but
the way I ground a tower They can only cut and steal maybe $40 worth of
copper. Sure, it costs me maybe $500 to put it back but that is still less
than a camera system and monitoring. There is no financial incentive as a
tower owner to monitor this.

I have had copper grounding stolen. It costs me $450 to replace everything
and cadweld patches back in. Not enough to claim on insurance. No tenant
has ever asked if we monitor our towers for intrusion. I have been to
provide certification that we are monitoring for light outages, which is
required by FCC regulations. Just my 2 cents from the other side.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 8:47 PM Steve Jones <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Verizon sites all have a secondary access key. I was doing some
> contracting for them a few years ago. The mechanism was a little shocking
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020, 9:26 AM Ken Hohhof <af...@kwisp.com> wrote:
>
>> Tower sites almost always have combination locks not keys, and the tower
>> leasing companies often use the same combination everywhere.  They may have
>> multiple locks like one for Sprint one for Verizon one for the electric
>> company etc. but I’ll bet those are the same across the network also.  I’ve
>> even encountered different tower leasing companies that use the same
>> combination.
>>

>> I’ve never had access to a cell company shelter, but what do you want to
>> bet those don’t have unique combinations either.
>>

>> Also most towers have a sign saying it has security cameras.  Many don’t
>> have cameras, just a sign.
>>

>> Most of the people accessing cell sites seem to be contractors, from the
>> crews that install the equipment to the guys maintaining the HVAC and
>> generators and filters and bait stations and cutting the grass and spraying
>> Roundup to keep the weeds down.  Many people know the combinations.

Lewis Bergman
325-439-0533 Cell