This article is an example of a journalist not knowing much.

She was looking for addresses in Savanah, the program is available in the
Savanah market so her looking up an address is not including all of the other
rural towns that can possibly get this service. Her methodology for stating
availability is all wrong.

This is a rural broadband program, it is likely for people who don’t have
options other than satellite or the current cell phone data plans. Why everyone
keeps comparing prices, speeds and such to other plans these people would buy
if they could get them is silly.

Total price with the equipment payment for non-Verizon customers is $60 plus
the $10 per month equipment fee (for 24 months). Still not a bad price if this
is your only option.

A person would likely know how ell it’s going to work and what speeds they will
get if they have already tested data on a Verizon cell phone, so performance
should be similar.

This program is likely targeted at their 700 spectrum but there is no reason
why they can’t be on the other bands. As stated, this is being rolled out on
the towers they are not capacity challenged. Some rural sites always deliver
great performance simply because the site loading with data customers is not
that bad. Why not sell this excess capacity? Wouldn’t you as a WISP? Quite
frankly I am surprised the cellular operators have not done more of this. IT’s
easy to limit the device to a small number of sectors and offer unlimited data
if that portion of the network has plenty of capacity. No 5G required and those
areas will probably never see 5 G anyway.

If Verizon starts to offer a similar package to their MVNO program it would
make for a nice adjunct to your coverage area where you do not have a network
built.

Verizon is looking hard at the software cell phone business model at the same
time. Visble.com is a Verizon owned and run pre-paid service that offers
unlimited data on a low priority basis already. I have been using one of their
phones as a hot spot for some time now. Speeds on the network vary a great
deal. It depends on where I am and how many users are on the system. The 5 meg
download on the tethering does not seem to be enforced or used on the USB side
and I get around the device limit by putting a router on the USB tether cable.

Thank you,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com