I have 13 mS to google.

-----Original Message----- From: fiber...@mail.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2020 10:32 AM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Starlink latency highly variable - up to 120 ms

I don't know about *anybody* who has 40 ms in-home latency. Normal in-home latency is measured in milliseconds. The WAN latency absolutely dwarfs that.

Starlink's latency is an order of magnitude larger than in-home latency. Obviously this is a matter of interest when evaluating the big picture.

Adding to that, the user can affect in-home latency, but not so much with WAN latency.

These are just facts, not opinions.

Anyway, Starlink may even end up overdelivering on bandwidth if all goes well. However, they overpromise and underdeliver on latency. Which I think is a shame. It would have been much better to give realistic figures, especially as there is quite high variability. I guess the pressure is really high to make that FCC 100 ms cut.

Starlink will find many takers, no doubt. As to the FCC, I will freely admit my bias against Starlink. I don't think Starlink should under *any* circumstances get *any* subsidies. Other than that, I wish them well. From a purely technological standpoint I find Starlink extremely cool.

Jared