+1

On 11/13/20 7:38 AM, Dennis Burgess via AF wrote:
I would suggest maybe two 2 gig commits with 10gig ports uncapped.  This will
allow either provider to go down and with good network design you can use
multiple routers to prevent a outage of your equipment.  Should be cheaper than
4 1gig internet connections and better than one 10gig . 😊

Dennis Burgess

Mikrotik : Trainer, Network Associate, Routing Engineer, Wireless Engineer,
Traffic Control Engineer, Inter-Networking Engineer, Security Engineer,
Enterprise Wireless Engineer
Hurricane Electric: IPv6 Sage Level
Cambium: ePMP

Author of "Learn RouterOS- Second Edition”
Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support Services
Office: 314-735-0270  Website: http://www.linktechs.net
Create Wireless Coverage’s with www.towercoverage.com

-----Original Message-----
From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Adam Moffett
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 7:38 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Multiple carriers

I like the curling analogy.  No perfect load balancing across the Internet.

You can advertise the supernet out of all carriers and also advertise
individual /24's out of the preferred carrier.  BGP will use the longer subnet
mask first and fallback to the supernet.  If you have a bunch of non-contiguous
allocations then obviously that's not an option, but if you have something
bigger than a /24 then you can do it.

I also would note that if Connection "A" goes down, connection "B", "C", or "D" might need to carry all the
load and you may not know which way it will come in.  You can test and see what happens in a planned outage, and tweak your settings just so, but I
don't think you can guarantee that topology upstream from you didn't change at some point between your testing and the eventual unplanned outage.  If
you need 4Gb, then you might just need two 4Gb pipes to have meaningful redundancy.  Depends what you're willing to live with.  There's a saying that
"slow is better than down", but IMO the phone blows up either which way so best to avoid either "slow" or "down"
conditions.

I'll also note that every time I've ordered a 1gig circuit they gave me GigE
optics.  If you order anything bigger, even if it's 1.1Gig then it'll be a
10Gig interface by necessity.  An upgrade then is just a phone call, whereas
the upgrade from 1Gig is a scheduled outage to swap interface cards.