From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> on behalf of Steve Jones
<thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:07 PM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: [AFMUG] contractor damage to equipment

So we had a contractor replace some aviat radios for us. On one of the radios
they left the alignment cap off, we didnt discover this til a month (and a few
heavy rain storms) later. Theres no way its not got water in it, and worse it
was really humid/misting the day we closed it. Its guaranteed theres at least a
water droplet worth of condensation in there.

We are demanding it be rectified before a failure occurs, probably mid january,
in the middle of a three day blizzard.

As far as Im concerned, its the contractors responsibility to eat the cost of a
new radio.

He wants us to provide one of our spares so he can swap it, send the radio in
for refurbishment, then swap it back. The issue is these are couple 4200s so
the swap requires both sides of the link to have the adapters and radios
swapped out, then swapped again on both when the refurbishment is complete. and
we then have a radio we cant get a warranty on.

The last time this contractor swapped these adapters it took 3 hours per radio.
So we are talking 2 six hour outages on a primary backhaul (this brings our
second provider to 2/3 of the network). sure I can play with BGP to minimize
impact, but its still a minimum 6 hours of degraded service.

I personally dont think we should give this contractor the option to take a
brand new radio (literally less than two months old) and replace it with the
same radio thats now refurbished. These are particularly painful to obtain (sub
band 3 coupler radios) but aviat happens to have a set on hand.

Am I being a dick about this? I think doing something as stupid as leaving a
cap off on a contract job should have a memorable cost