Yes QGIS is a great program and since it is open source the amount of
information you find is great on the internet and YouTube. The power is in the
plug ins though. You will spend a lot of time going through all of them to get
things you find useful. Manifold is really powerful when you have the NVIDIA
graphics cards because it uses each CPE in addition to the cores on CPU. I use
them both and Manifold screams as far as computing power especially with large
databases. They have a YouTube channel to help get you up to speed with one
video of  little over 40 minutes and then a lot of 10 minute lessons. If you do
buy that program, get the version that has both license for version 9 and the
old 8 version. They changed a lot of things in version 9 and some things are
still easier to do in version 8. Total for both versions is only $135.

QGIS does have some things that work better or different than Manifold so I use
both on occasion. They will both hook to any ODBC compatible database as well
as a plethora of other on line sources including ESRI’s public datasets.

Thank you,

Brian Webster

214 Eggleston Hill Rd.

Cooperstown, NY 13326