Many states require revenue grade metering if you're going to be metering
via the kwh. This can get expensive.

One option is to calculate what the maximum your customer can draw is based
on 80% of the breaker size.   And charge based on that.

20A breaker, maximum continuous load of 16A, 16(amps) x 120(volts) x
24(hours) x 30(days) / 1000(kilo) = 1,382.4kwh.  At 10c per kwh, you can
specify  $150/ month for this circuit, and specify a maximum continuous
load of 16A.

If you're only going to have 3 or 4 tenants, I'd put a meter pack in (like
they have on apartments) and use real meters.  If you do it right, the
utility company will just handle the billing.

If you really do want to go the per circuit metering route, look at
egauge.