I'm not sure we ever figured the actual cause out since the one i can think
of most recently was buried..  just was able to trace it to a point and no
further.  This was years ago at this point.   I also remember water
penetration to be an issue in another case where a conduit filed with
water.

I know thhn can be fairly easily damaged when buried since the jacket is
relatively easy to puncture.  I'm assuming the "correct" wire is a harder,
rock-resistant coating.