Not exactly the same type of subsidy program, but I'm starting to belive
that the government needs to migrate almost all of the build out subsidies
to put equal access fiber in the ground.  That is,  the subsidy is only for
the fiber build.

 Single strand or two from each house to a concentrator box and then a
excessive number of backhaul/middle mile strands.  Then any isp can use the
resources that are built.  The price to use the resources must be
effectively zero and rules must be in place to limit the percentage of
middle mile strands that a single provider can use.

You get paid if you build to spec.   Once it's been independently verified
that you built it then you get paid.   Not before.

Eliminates fraud and Eliminates the government subsidizing one provider
which often eliminates the possibility of competition.  Makes it easy for a
provider to enter an area (drop a OLT in a cabinet).

There are several countries (some rural) that adopted this pattern with
good results.  Obviously the details would matter here,  but I'm tired of
programs that have so many rules that only the big providers can really
apply.  Or if you do win as a small provider the cost to operate inside the
grant guidelines often make it not worth it.