But when you are that age, there is something to be said for living the “animal
house” experience.  I did the full on beer keg in the dedicated beer keg
fridge, multiple roommates, multiple girlfriends, crazy college apartment
thing.  That was fun.  The 70s were fun.

From: Steve Jones
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2023 11:36 AM
To: AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] FB Exchange

My boy turned 18 in december. Hes talked about moving out. I tell him hes dumb
if he does. As long as he lives under my roof the utilities are going to be
paid, because I have to pay them anyway, so none of that cost is there for him,
even if i charged him a little bit of rent. I dont want my kids to leave as
long as theyre productive. Build bank accounts, retirements, etc. Go have life
experiences if thats the reason to go, but otherwise be smart and keep your
coin as long as you can.

Hes working at walmart, they actually offer a shit ton of benefits for the
people who take advantage of them, most are too lazy to even read their
package. They have one of the biggest 401k matches out there over time. Hes
increased 3 dollars an hour in pay in less than a year. Hes learning all the
roles there, changing departments as he can. hes planning on working for me in
the long run, but he knows im a struggling startup, so hes being smart about
it. hes finishing his EMT program at high school, doesnt have interest in the
college route. Hes touched IT, WISP work, he can run a small directional drill,
dig a hole, worked retail and will have his EMT license. For non college bound,
hes already opened a lot of doors (im pushing him to heavy equipment operator).
Why pay rent and utilities right now, hes still got more doors to open.

that being said, hes making 15 an hour right now, he and 2 buddies could go out
and rent an apartment today. The bills would all be paid, they would have some
beer money, and his savings account would grow. Thats as long as he chooses to
not be like these gimme gimmes that think you should have newest phone with
unlimited data plan, 3-5 streaming services, good flashy car, starbucks, fast
food, ticktok time, etc in a big apartment of his own running air it 60 all
summer with the windows open while cooking steaks on the grill every night.
trash begets trash and looks in the pocket of other men.