If you can't hear ambient noise it's an issue.

Safety violation.

My take:

If it's a loud area,  then you need hearing protection.   Note that most
earbuds don't isolate that much, as such if you're even moderately close to
the osha hearing protection levels then you can exceed them by permitting
earbud use.  Hearing outside noise is not nearly as important here as
ensuring that you don't exceed dB levels.

In quieter areas, then you have the need to hear ambient noise.   Depending
on the area and whether you feel that being aware of the direction of the
noise is important, having a one earbud policy is often OK.

Or you can demand use of something like:

https://amp.earplugstore.com/saf-t-ear-bluetooth-dual-safety-earbuds.html