Dwdm or cwdm where one hasn't taken care to balance the relative strengths
of the light entering the wdm system.

I believe some amplifiers have the effect of "smoothing out" the relative
brightness of each carrier.  But don't quote me on this as I'm just going
by marketing materials likely written by a marketing department somewhere.