From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Bill Prince
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 12:31 PM
To: AFMUG <af@af.afmug.com>
Subject: [AFMUG] Security camera experience

I tried sending this "OT", but nothing happened (reminds me of a 3-Stooges
script), so I decided that maybe it's not so off topic after all.

We want to put up a security camera where it is far enough away, and with
terrain & tree issues overlooking the entrance to our property. It will be
about 50-60 feet above the driveway. There are no lights down there, and the
spot where I want to put it is difficult enough to reach that I don't want
to mess with batteries or WiFi. So it will be a wired/POE camera.

The camera that (so far) seems to meet my needs is the Unifi UVC-G5-PRO,
mainly because it has an ~~80 foot range in IR mode, and the image quality
is noticeably better than the G4 and below models. It also has enough smarts
to act as a "doorbell" of sorts should anyone come driving up.

One downside is that it's WHITE, so I will need to camo it somewhat. I don't
know if the IR is low or no glow, but that would be a major plus if it had
it because I don't want it drawing attention.

It will also require Ubiqiti's Cloud Key G2+ to act as an NVR (and it can
handle a few more cameras should the need arise).

Before I pull the trigger on this, I thought I'd throw it out to the Borg to
see if anyone has any other thoughts or recommendations.