Its because we have upstreams in different towns both doing BGP. If the
path on our network between them goes down it orphans customers so this
allows a hobbled failover. We have passed 3-400mbps across it to our
surprise. I think our upstreams peer with zayo near each other. We
originally had EOIP but it was problematic and unreliable