My old H.S. chemistry professor ( Dr. Welch ) kept a bottle of hydrofluoric acid under his desk in a wax bottle of unknown quality.  That was an interesting removal...

On 4/29/24 8:59 AM, Chuck McCown via AF wrote:
Pretty much in the middle of Salt Lake City.
The guy the lived there (had died recently I think) was a chemist at the University of Utah. His wife found a spill of mercury and asked for help in safely removing it. As a result they found over 500 containers of chemicals and very very old dynamite.  Totally a no win situation.

You might have been able to soak it in diesel and built a small electric kiln over it to incinerate in place.  But monday morning quarterbacking.

Best Regards,
Chuck McCown

McCown Technology Corporation
8401 N Commerce Dr
Lake Point, Utah 84074
801-250-9503 Office
435-830-4306 Cell
www.mccowntech.com
www.microtrench.pro
www.terabitnetworks.com
-----Original Message----- From: Bill Prince
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2024 8:13 AM
To: AFMUG
Subject: [AFMUG] OT: East Utah fun

FROM: News of the Weird

Boom!
In Holladay, Utah, authorities were summoned to a home on April 23 to
advise a homeowner on how to dispose of “a lot” of explosives, including
“ancient dynamite” that had been in the family for “generations and
generations.” Capt. Tony Barker of the Unified Fire Authority said the
collectors did not appear to have malicious intent. KUTV reported that
multiple agencies descended on the home, where it was determined that
they would have to conduct a controlled explosion.

Of course, that's just EAST Utah. Right Chuck?