they would work fine at that voltage, but not 100% charged which is a good
thing. Regular power supplies cannot divert current like a DRS-480 for
example, so if your system goes to 0% and dies, when AC power is restored
the power supplies will need to charge the batteries and power your load at
the same time, if the minimum voltage of your equipment isn't met then you
might still be offline for some time while the batteries charge up to the
minimum equipment voltage... lifepo4 batteries are a great investment IMO
and cheaper than lead if you look at the whole picture but I would avoid
cheapy amazon batteries that are likely to have crap BMS that will fail.
Stick with EG4 or other known good mfg.

On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 10:52 AM Robert <i...@avantwireless.com> wrote:

> While I have used, read about, studied, and debated about LFP batteries,
> one thing I cannot find an answer to:
>
> Is there a problem with using a regular voltage supply set to 13.4 volts
> ( 90% ) charge to maintain a LFP battery for backup power use?   Is
> there a need to buy a specialized battery charger like a samlex to
> charge an LFP battery?
>
> Note that I am currently using regular power supplies to maintain a bank
> of LFPs.   I just don't know if I am setting up for an issue in the
> future...
>
>     Self heating 12v batteries have reached a new low with one just
> becoming available on Amazon for $229 and, with a netonix, that would be
> a pretty simple system.

Thank you,

TJ Trout
Volt Broadband