We currently host our own speedtest server using Ookla's speedtest technology,
but Ookla is discontinuing the version we run, and
the licensing fees for the new version are very steep. I'm looking at
alternatives, such as OpenSpeedTest and speed.io, but would
like to get some feedback on these if anyone is using them.

We once tried using Brandon Checkett's Fancy Speed Test, but the results
display was not really in line with what we wanted.

Does anyone hosting their own, non-Ookla, speedtest server have some success
stories or horror stories about particular packages?

Thank you,
  Darren