Assuming this is not a solar site, and the battery runtime is sized for typical 
power company repair time plus enough time to bring out a portable generator, I 
don’t think a couple hours extra runtime is worth ruining the batteries.  I 
know what would happen to me.  I wouldn’t get the batteries replaced before the 
next outage, and now I’m really screwed.

One thing I’ve started doing at DC sites with DIN rail chargers is to make sure 
the charger isn’t hardwired but has a regular AC cord, so it can easily be 
plugged into a portable generator or other source of emergency power.


From: Chuck McCown via Af 
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:06 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Low Voltage Battery Disconnect

I agree, especially on Solar.  I swore off LVDs a long time ago.
On the other hand, if you have frequent outages....
But in that case, put in larger batts and/or a generator.

From: Sean Heskett via Af 
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:54 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Low Voltage Battery Disconnect

personally i prefer to damage my batteries to keep the network running than 
have it shutdown during a low voltage event. 

2 cents

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM, CARL PETERSON via Af <[email protected]> wrote:

  I have a couple Emerson 211 Rectifier shelves without the LVLD.  In order to 
protect my battery string, I am looking for a low voltage battery disconnect 
that will disconnect the battery string when voltage drops below ~42V and 
reconnect it when the rectifier comes back online so the batteries will charge. 
 Any suggestions for a ~20A system? 

  Thanks,

  Carl Peterson
  PORT NETWORKS
  401 E Pratt St, Ste 2553
  Baltimore, MD 21202
  (410) 637-3707 

Reply via email to