Pasted from RH:

OVERVIEW

The Docker project provides the means of packaging applications in
lightweight containers. Running applications within Docker containers
offers the following advantages:

   - *Smaller than VMs*: Because Docker images contain only the content
   needed to run an application, saving and sharing is much more efficient
   with Docker containers than it is with virtual machines (which include
   entire operating systems)
   - *Improved performance*: Likewise, since you are not running an
   entirely separate operating system, a container will typically run faster
   than an application that carries with it the overhead of a whole new
   virtual machine.
   - *Secure*: Because a Docker container typically has its own network
   interfaces, file system, and memory, the application running in that
   container can be isolated and secured from other activities on a host
   computer.
   - *Flexible*: With an application's run time requirements included with
   the application in the container, a Docker container is capable of being
   run in multiple environments.