Depends on how long it went that low, the rate of discharge etc.  I don’t think
a lead acid based chemistry will develop enough sulfide (sulfite?) with one or
two deep discharges like that to matter unless they are left in that condition.
 It takes deep discharge and time to allow those crystals to form.

From: Josh Luthman
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 6:41 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Low Voltage Disconnect

If a 12v battery went down to 3v, is it toast?  Or if it's only happened once
can you simply charge it and expect it to operate normally?

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Chuck McCown <ch...@wbmfg.com> wrote:

  +1

  Screw LVD.  Do you want to risk losing connectivity when the LVD trips only
to have power restored 10 minutes later?  If you power is that crappy that it
will trip enough to significantly save your battery you do not have a large
enough battery.

  If you are doing LVD to prevent the chance of a infrequent deep discharge, it
is still a waste of money.  Again, more battery is the answer.  A deep
discharge once a year is not going to markedly reduce battery life unless you
draw them clear down and leave them discharged for an extended period of time.

  If you don’t want to put the money into a larger battery, put in telemetry
that is monitored with a PRTG/MRTG type of tool that will send you and email
when things are getting low.  Then you can run out with a generator or perhaps
manually turn stuff off via telemetry until power comes back on.

  I used to be a believer in LVD but not any more.  Now, if there is any chance
of  keeping things running, I want to keep things running.