Depends on local codes. Some places here you need to be an electrician to install low voltage wiring and I have heard of things like electrical inspectors red tagging the project because the data jacks are white or ivory and not orange or red or whatever the local inspector thinks they have to be.

We used to see custom houses wired for data, not anymore because people want everything WiFi. I'm waiting for the day when they don't wire for phone jacks because no one has landlines anymore. I guess next the coax jacks go away because of wireless receivers.

What you say makes sense if people realize they may want to put several wireless access points around the house. Will be cool if WiGig takes off.

But it's hard to find wireless APs at the store, and if you make a router into an AP, it tends to cause confusion. All solvable problems, especially if these are high income types who will just call you for service rather than messing with it themselves.


-----Original Message----- From: Sterling Jacobson
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2015 2:00 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: [AFMUG] Structured Wiring

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on getting homes to use structured wiring.

Most of the homes we are installing/installed have a bundle of coax and Ethernet in the HVAC area.

I would love to see the home owner put in a structured box with electrical plug, terminate all the wiring and put a decent non-wireless router in there. Then use a wireless extender or wireless router in bridge mode somewhere appropriate in their house.

Is anyone selling this kind of solution to customers?

Who is installing them?

I don't think I need certification in Utah to do these (Except the electrical). I'm honestly thinking of training up a few teenagers to do these for cheaper.

What do you all think?

Reply via email to