Sure it will.  Even the highest quality stuff.

Had a site back in my WISP days that had LMR-400 running to a licensed radio
head going 50ft up a tower attached every 5ft using 3m tape along the tower
leg.  A good snow storm with 100MPH winds came along and ripped the cable off
the tower one day… I think 6 months after installation (so you can’t blame UV
exposure).

Went back and used hose clamps (after a helicopter ride later and two weeks of
an area of our network limping along on a backup backhaul path) and never had
issues again.  Learned that lesson once after losing a lot of customers and
feeling a lot of frustration (the site was on a 14,000 ft mountain and
wind/snow conditions made it inaccessible during the winter basically… so it
took two weeks for a narrow window to get up there).

Will electrical tape or zip ties fail in most WISP applications for the life of
the cable or installation of the equipment, probably not (heck I used zip ties
on the cable for the SAF Integra radio on the roof of our office).  But SCADA
(and even the carriers) operate in a “do it right the first time by a well-worn
and time tested book and never visit the site again”.  It is a CAPEX/OPEX
question really… and customers like Jaime is working with here can’t afford to
take the hit on OPEX since it way outpaces the cost of the upfront CAPEX to
overbuild the site.  That site might take hours to get to, and the downtime
cost could be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Why risk it on
electrical tape vs. band-it (cost difference is maybe an additional hour of
Jaime’s time and $20 in supplies?).

The greatest gift being on the manufacturing side has given me is the
opportunity to see hundreds of networks and thousands of different ways of
doing things.  Some are wrong, many are different shades of right.  Some amaze
me at the gratuitous overkill (here is looking at you Ricochet).  As Lewis said
in another thread recently, there is a point where spending more on the
grounding system than the equipment it is protecting doesn’t make sense for an
incremental improvement.

Food for thought :-D

Daniel White - Managing Director

SAF North America LLC