I usually wear a pair of cheap running shoes. While I agree 100% on ankle
support being important, boots I find do not offer near the grip that
sneakers do. I also tend to work a lot on the balls of my feet, and
sneakers seem to accommodate that better than boots. It really depends on
individual preference.