You can be sued for any reason at any time.  You're not clear.  You'll
probably win and I expect you would.  Think hot coffee litigation.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373
On Jun 10, 2015 3:46 PM, "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote:

>  I'll say this again: After consulting with no less than 3 legal firms who
> specialize in communications/fcc law, we are in the clear. I'm not going to
> get into a debate about the legality of this because (A) I'm not a lawyer
> and (B) neither are you. We have been told that subscribers agree to the
> restrictions on our network when they sign a contract. The language is the
> same used for commercial services.
>
> Yes, the restriction applies to all torrent traffic.
>
> Josh Reynolds
> CIO, SPITwSPOTSwww.spitwspots.com
>
> On 06/10/2015 11:37 AM, Josh Luthman wrote:
>
> IMO your only concern should be getting sued.  Anyone that's torrenting
> stuff probably doesn't have the money for a lawyer to do that.
>
>  Do you do any CIR connections for businesses?  Do you block them?
>
>
>  Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337 3
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>  And after that based on the legal advice we have received from no less
>> than 3 Communications Lawyers
>>
>> Josh Reynolds
>> CIO, SPITwSPOTSwww.spitwspots.com
>>
>>  On 06/10/2015 09:41 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
>>
>>  And you can legally do it until this Friday.
>>
>>  *From:* Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> *Sent:* Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:10 PM
>>  *To:* [email protected]
>> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>
>> We have been blocking torrents as a network protection measure for over 6
>> years using various DPI and behavioral detection systems, and its in our
>> AUP. We have never lost a customer or even had a complaint because of it.
>> On Jun 10, 2015 4:56 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed. I don't even want to think about how many calls we would have to
>> deal with if blocked VPNs... and torrents for that matter.
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Mike Hammett <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>  Yes and blindly killing things is a terrible practice.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> Mike Hammett
>> Intelligent Computing Solutions
>> http://www.ics-il.com
>>
>>  <https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>
>> <https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions>
>> <https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
>>
>> Midwest Internet Exchange
>> http://www.midwest-ix.com
>>
>>  <https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange>
>> <https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
>>  ------------------------------
>> *From: *"Paul McCall" <[email protected]>
>> *To: *[email protected]
>> *Sent: *Tuesday, June 9, 2015 11:12:43 PM
>>
>> *Subject: *Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>  Rory,  how do you “kill torrents”?  technically,
>>
>>
>>
>> And, aren’t there a lot o legitimate programs that use torrents as the
>> distribution method?
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Af [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Rory Conaway
>> *Sent:* Monday, June 08, 2015 3:54 PM
>> *To:* [email protected]
>> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>
>>
>> If you have file sharers on there for example, I’ve seen XM radios drop
>> to 10Mbps or less (another reason we kill torrents).  If you watch the
>> modulation levels when that happens, you will also see them drop as the CPU
>> load goes up.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* Af [mailto:[email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Josh Luthman
>> *Sent:* Monday, June 08, 2015 12:46 PM
>> *To:* [email protected]
>> *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>>
>>
>> PS in the run queue?  That certainly isn't load, there's no way an XM
>> radio can do 20+.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Josh Luthman
>> Office: 937-552-2340
>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>> 1100 Wayne St
>> Suite 1337
>> Troy, OH 45373
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Bill Prince <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm with Rory. It depends a lot on the traffic, and and what role it may
>> be playing (backhaul, AP, or SM). This is just a 1 day snapshot of one in
>> SM role.
>>
>>
>>
>>  bp
>>
>> <part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>
>>
>>
>>
>>  On 6/8/2015 12:34 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
>>
>>  SSH into every single AP and it says 0.00 or 0.01.  I used to graph it
>> way back (maybe 5.3 days?) and I never saw it deviate.  This is definitely
>> all XM gear.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Josh Luthman
>> Office: 937-552-2340
>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>> 1100 Wayne St
>> Suite 1337
>> Troy, OH 45373
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I would have to se your data, mine does not support that.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory Conaway
>>
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Luthman <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 3:26 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> If that was the case why are the loads of every radio 0.01 or less?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Josh Luthman
>> Office: 937-552-2340
>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>> 1100 Wayne St
>> Suite 1337
>> Troy, OH 45373
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  To prove my point further, if you do throughput testing with Ubiquity
>> in ptmp mode, you will find with xm radios, cpu load affects modulation
>> levels.  I haven't tested xw radios yet but I believe the threshold is just
>> higher and probably justifies 30mhz but it's going to be close.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory Conaway
>>
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>>
>> From: Rory Conaway <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> The pps and cpu load absolutely is another variable you need to take into
>> acount, especially with 400 and 526mhz atheros  processors that are also
>> running polling.   Ignore it as part of your overall strategy and you could
>> be wasting spectrum.  If your ap never exceeds 80mbps, why do you want
>> 30mhz channels.  Sarcasm aside, does that help you understand my point.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory Conaway
>>
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 2:17 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> I think we are having two different conversations, and I have no idea
>> what you are talking about right now.
>>
>> What we were discussing has to do with channel sizes, epmp, and ubiquiti.
>> In particular, why UBNT 40mhz isn't any better than 30mhz in terms of
>> efficiency.
>>
>> This part of the discussion has nothing at all to do with any theories on
>> PPS you may have, other than those you have tried to inject into this
>> discussion.
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 10:07 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Excopt that as was mentioned before, the s/n ratio goes down and if you
>> aren't hitting the limits of the physical layer in 20MHz, why do it?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory Conaway
>>
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 12:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> I can assure you that on radios connected in a ptp config or small ptmp,
>> that you will see more throughput on the 30mhz channel given a noise floor
>> of -97 and signals in the mid -50s, even with nothing connected on the
>> other side of the radios.
>>
>> Its an efficiency issue.
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 8:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I kind of does, the way I understood it, that bottleneck limited you from
>> really being able to do anything beyond what a 30mhz channel could support.
>>
>> Now that I think about it, I have seen 40mhz perform better than 30mhz...
>> but yes, that was because of RF problems, and neither one was doing
>> anything close to what it would with a good link.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> That is a bottleneck in the system, but not relevant as far as this
>> discussion goes. That has nothing to do with the 30/40MHz channel
>> efficiency per say.
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM, Rory Conaway <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> The limitation on the older xm radios was pps.  When you added a lot of
>> small packets and airmax, you could drop down to as low as 40Mbps.  In the
>> real world in ptmp mode. We planned for 50mhz per AP with eveything g taken
>> into account.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Sent from fromm phone where I type with a single digit so please excuse
>> shortcuts or typos.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rory Conaway
>>
>> Triad Wireless
>>
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: Josh Reynolds <[email protected]>
>> Date: 06/08/2015 11:59 AM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> This. Thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I assumed too much out of
>> some on this list ;)
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 7:33 AM, Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I think he is talking about using 40MHz channels on the older M series,
>> that didn't have gig ports.  It was my understanding that the processor
>> would get taxed as well on a 40MHz channel, making 30MHz actually work
>> better.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Josh Luthman <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Ubnt and epmp have gig ports.
>>
>> Josh Luthman
>> Office: 937-552-2340
>> Direct: 937-552-2343
>> 1100 Wayne St
>> Suite 1337
>> Troy, OH 45373
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 11:20 AM, "Josh Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know how epmp does it.
>>
>> For UBNT, a 30mhz channel is just a "fat" 20mhz channel in the atheros
>> chip. Single operation. For  a 40mhz channel, it's really two 20s, meaning
>> radio operations are ran twice. Loss in efficiency, also marred by the lack
>> of gigabit port.
>>
>> On Jun 8, 2015 7:13 AM, Mathew Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I've never seeing much difference in performance on the ubnt M series
>> between 30mhz and 40mhz channels, so yes, I would say that is true... but
>> I'm not sure how much applies to ePMP - they do have a much a faster
>> processor and on a software level they are very different.
>>
>> So far, I have been running all of our ePMP APs on 20mhz channels and PTP
>> links on 40mhz or 20mhz, depending on how much capacity they need. I
>> haven't really seen much need to go down to 10mhz channels with ePMP.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Shayne Lebrun <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I seem to recall that with the M series, at least, a 30 mhz channel works
>> 'better' than a 40 because the 40 is really two 20 mhz channels bonded
>> together, where a 30 mhz channel is a 30 mhz channel.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rory Conaway
>> Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:32 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>> Subject: Re: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> I'm not that familiar with the ePMP's yet but I can tell you some things
>> that we saw with Ubiquiti.  One is that channel width does not scale with
>> bandwidth that that Atheros chipset.  For example, 40MHz channels rarely
>> hit their theoretical maximum due to a variety of factors, noise, lower
>> s/n, processor limitations, etc...  Second, 20MHz channels seem to be the
>> sweet spot but even with GPS sync, you have to deal with reflections.
>> Third, 10MHz channels have more overhead as a percentage of total capacity
>> and don't handle a lot of users well (above 40 for example with the older
>> 400MHz chipsets. I'm starting to deploy XW radios with the 520MHz
>> processors but everything is 20MHz now so I don't have a comparison).  We
>> did see peaks of 32Mbps with some customers on 10MHz channels but that's
>> non-peak times.  In peak times, we were seeing 8Mbps when more users were
>> online.
>>
>> Rory
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Craig House
>> Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2015 5:20 PM
>> To: [email protected]
>>
>> Subject: [AFMUG] EPMP 10 mhz vs 20mhz
>>
>> We have deployed 6 towers to begin our new EPMP network and 4 of those
>> towers have a full cluster of 2.4 90 degree EPMP sectors.  They are
>> configured with ACS turned off now because in several cases they all ended
>> up on the same or very close to the same channel.  I have Front back
>> designations and non overlapping channels set up on all towers.  I have
>> tried 40 mhz 20 mhz and now 10mhz channels and while the customer stability
>> has gotten better the more I play with settings I have kind of hit a point
>> I dont know what else to try.  I have some that the uplink quality will
>> vary wildly from 100% to 0%.  Most have gotten better since I went to a
>> 10mhz channel.  Most of the customers get 12MB -30mb down in the wireless
>> link test but the uplinks are as bad as .17.   What is the cause of this
>> poor uplink quality?  Is it interfernece?  My one 5ghz AP does not have
>> this problem but even with noise many of these customers have -50 signals
>> and oddly enough the ones with the great signals seem to be the ones that
>> have the poorest link tests on the up link side.  I also have customes with
>> -65 or -72 signals that get 5MB up on the same sectors?  Im scratching my
>> head a bit on what the fix is for this?  Should I leave ACS on and change
>> everything to 10mhz channels?  Will a full cluster with ACS on work all on
>> the same channel?
>> I'm used to FSK where you pick your channel and any channels that are
>> adjacent will cause problems with connected SM's.  So am I just applying
>> old knowledge to a technology that it doesn't apply to?
>>
>> Craig
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ...

Reply via email to