A good transition from Excel sheets to something else is Trello. It's free, lets you set deadlines, has a calendar, can separate tasks by person, etc. I use it a lot. It seems perhaps overly simplistic at first glance, but if your needs fit into a spreadsheet, it will give you everything you gain from that plus a lot more.