Anyone got any pics of insulated panels side by side with uninsulated
panels?  We tried taping a piece of styrofoam to the back of one once, but
it never seemed to make enough of a difference (especially for the hoar
frost that plagues our mountain tops).  Bosses aren't convinced the mess of
sprayfoam would be worthwhile.

I enjoyed reading your testing with the different sprayers Chuck.  The
antifreeze was fairly expensive though if I recall?

-Steve D

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Chuck McCown <[email protected]> wrote:

> I did lots of experiments about 15 years ago adding heat to panels with
> various methods.  Heat tape,  hot air blowers, exhaust, all kinds of ideas
> were worked on.
>
> I came up with two things that work.  First, lots of insulation on the
> backs.  Spray foam worked extra good.  It  helps to speed up snow/ice
> sliding/melting off when the sun comes out.
>
> Second thing that works is the application of antifreeze.  Propylene
> glycol is environmentally safe for the wildlife.   Sprayer at the top works
> pretty good.  We rigged up one tank that was pressurized with air and had
> solenoid valve that was turned on via telemetry.  Takes almost no energy to
> pump.  Did CO2 pressurization too but that will carbonate the antifreeze
> and it doesn’t spray as well.
>
> You can vent the tank and have it drain back if you want.  I also tried a
> deicing product made from beet juice.  It didn’t work too well.  Plugged up
> the spray nozzle.
>
> *From:* Steve D <[email protected]>
> *Sent:* Sunday, September 20, 2015 12:05 AM
> *To:* af <[email protected]>
> *Subject:* [AFMUG] The dreaded annual "how to keep snow and ice off my
> solarpanels" thread
>
> Maybe it's Saturday night exhaustion talking, but piping the exhaust from
> a standby generator toward the back of solar panels a bad idea?  I'd expect
> it to not put heat on the panels in the summer except it's weekly exercise
> cycle but that shouldn't be too bad?  LP too so shouldn't be any soot.  Or
> would this just create one little hole of open panel and a pile of ice?
> Bad in general for the panels?
>
> If I did this again, I'd put the damn thing directly under the panels...
> these Onan's get stinking hot.  My little "cool running", comparatively
> speaking, portable yamaha's will melt a two foot radius of snow around them
> if they run for a good length of time, all this heat going to waste!  The
> Onan would probably clear the whole rack if it was sitting right below it.
>
> Grumble grumble... snow... something, something, curse words...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve D
>
>

Reply via email to