Need an awesome redirect for ipv6 that says:
WELCOME to the World of IPV6 sorry for the inconvenience this may be
causing but as soon as the
master nerd at the nerd colo can figure whats wrong it will return to
working order soon. We appreciate your patience.
Maybe something more elaborate but thats the idea :)
On 09/21/2015 11:11 AM, Nate Burke wrote:
I guess my Concern is with the Small Business market. Possibly one
that you got because they were on a Horrible DSL line and 'The
Internet was always going down'. They have the potential to do
business with other SMB who probably have a $5/mo 1and1 hosting plan
with a checkbox that says 'enable IPV6'. If all of a sudden, other
sites are working, and they can't get to a particular site. YOUR
connection is not letting them. The 80 year old nice woman who runs
the Mechanic shop isn't going to care about IPv4 or IPv6, She just
know's that she was always able to view
joesultimatecustommufflerandtailpipe.com when the internet was working
on her DSL, but now she can't get to it at all. And she called Joe,
and he says his site is working fine. Now it's a pointing game.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just a concern when thinking about
implementing Dual Stack, and trying to figure out what the best way to
handle it is.
On 9/21/2015 10:39 AM, Ken Hohhof wrote:
I guess we need to remember that most customers don't visit all the
sites we network admins and WISP operators do. If Netflix, Facebook,
Google and Facebook are up, the Internet is working, and those sites
are unlikely to have IPv6 problems (or if they do, the whole world
goes off the rails). Business customers are a different matter, but
we probably don't mind digging into a weird IPv4/IPv6 problem for a
business customer even if only to explain it ain't our fault.
You'd think smartphones would be conditioning people to take it in
stride when website problems occur. I know I am constantly getting
"Aw, Snap" and "Rats! WebGL hit a snag" errors from the Chrome
browser on my phone, I assume due to ads and tracking, and honestly
the Android messages have stopped being cute. But I guess people
still aren't de-sensitized to web browsing errors, to just try again
in an hour or something, or to clear the error and reload.
-----Original Message----- From: Paul Stewart
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2015 10:22 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Dual Stack Gripe/worry
I rarely run across issues when IPv6 is down at a site and iPv4 isn't
.. been running dual stack at home since 2008 or so...
Not saying it's perfect but just have very few issues....
-----Original Message-----
From: Af [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nate Burke
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 12:46 PM
To: Animal Farm <[email protected]>
Subject: [AFMUG] Dual Stack Gripe/worry
I'm dual stacked at home, but it seems like I run into this issue
about once a week. Content hosts need to do the same monitoring of
their IPv6 services as their IPv4 Services. Many times the IPv6 site
will break while the IPV4 site is fine. Like right now,
www.icontact.com is working from a V4 only box, but not a V4/v6 box,
some sort of security certificate problem. To a customer In a Dual
stack environment, that = 'Your service isn't letting me view that
site' (or as the wife yells down the stairs, The internet is down
because this 1 site won't load) I can see this only multiplying
headaches as dual stack is rolled out across the network. People who
are already doing widespread Dual Stack, do you run into these
issues? If so, how do you solve them. Disable V6 on a problem box?
That kinda defeats the point then doesn't it.