I think Windows shops primarily use vSphere and Hyper-V (I know others can be
used, but they aren't the majority). Linux shops use ESXi and {insert one of
dozens of other virtualization systems here}. I use ProxMox and vSphere.
ProxMox 4 moved from OpenVZ to LXC, which is supported in mainstream kernels
vs. using an ancient kernel. Oddly enough, I went from OpenVZ to Proxmox
several years ago (eight?) around version 1. I went to vSphere four or five
years ago and lately I've added ProxMox back into the mix (though not primary).

I'm a fan of auto-tiered storage. Big (compared to all flash), cheap (well,
relative to all flash) and fast (compared to spinning disks).

http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.midwest-ix.com