The German Beer Purity Law calls for 4 ingredients in beer: Malted barley,
yeast, hops, and water. Different barleys impart different flavors (for
instance, stouts are often made with roasted barley), different yeast strains
can affect the flavor, and the hops have a huge effect on the flavor, based on
the varieties and quantities used, as well as where in the process they are
added. There are also differences between ales and lagers, which are fermented
differently.

IPAs (Inda Pale Ales) are made with a lot of hops, which gives the beer certain
characteristics, including a hardiness for long voyages, but they do add a
level of bitterness and aromas - my wife says they taste “perfume-y” to her.
Brown ales, on the other hand, usually have a very mild hop level and a
stronger malt flavor. Most stouts are light on hops, or have just enough for a
good balance against the malt, and the Irish varieties will be very popular in
a week!

n  Darren