If they insist on using Paypal and you're OK with that, and this is not a
high enough value transaction to go through a full formal escrow process,
you could probably write a one page contract that says you will retain the
registrar lock & nameserver records until AFTER the Paypal payment has
cleared, and you've transferred it from paypal to your bank account.