For some reason this thread reminded me of G line...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goubau_line

From: Eric Kuhnke
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 2:39 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Practical/low-cost 18AWG copper outdoor

Local hippies will go nuts if we start drilling many dozens of trees and
attaching stuff. The place where the PTP radios go on the far end of the copper
and fiber can have some trees trimmed...

Thankfully this is in an area where there is zero risk of damage from off
road/ATV or 4x4s, somebody would have to maliciously go into the forest and
decide to mess with the fiber. Squirrel and mouse/rat chewing is definitely
something to think about.