There is a good chance you may need to.  I have seen 200 foot runs go for
years, then all of a sudden become “too hot”.  This was noticed when traffic
levels increased and things became more busy.   Does it have to be single mode?
I know companies are standardizing more and more on single mode.  But multimode
still has it’s place.  You can actually get 10 gig multimode.  the cost may be
higher than just adding in attenuators though.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net

---
http://www.mtin.net Owner/CEO
xISP Solutions- Consulting – Data Centers - Bandwidth

http://www.midwest-ix.com  COO/Chairman
Internet Exchange - Peering - Distributed Fabric