That CCR1009 he's using might be new enough that the latest bugfix doesn't have the necessary drivers. I don't see any problem trying to load the version he wants via netinstall. As others have said, you can't really nuke it. Even if you upgrade the RouterBOOT image and that fails, there's the factory backup loader. You hold the reset button while powering on to force the backup loader for that startup sequence.

There's a catch to that too. I had some old 493's running 5.25 and I wanted to update them to 6.something. Luckily this was all on the bench because the first one failed to boot. The loader could not find the kernel. For the rest, I downloaded the latest RouterBOOT image for that hardware and upgraded it in ROS 5.25 *before* upgrading to 6.x. For that first one, I think I ended up upgrading the loader via serial which then had no problem loading the kernel. Now the problem becomes the backup loader not being able to locate the kernel image. The backup loader can't be upgraded, but I think there's a special package you can load in RouterOS (which obviously has to work) to get it upgraded.

On 9/29/2016 11:15 AM, Chris Wright wrote:

I’m going to counter with..

I don’t think it’s wise to ship routers with later-than-bugfix firmware.

Chris Wright

Network Administrator

*From:*Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Mike Hammett
*Sent:* Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:13 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] Can't downgrade mikrotik routeros

I don't think it's wise to downgrade below shipped firmware.

Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>