I wouldn't, but some people will. Installing and aiming a pair of 4' or 6'
dishes is the expensive part, but the dishes can be good for 20 years.
Radios can always be upgraded.

Even a pair of $1300 dishes + $1500 of radios + FCC coordination + misc
parts + climbing/mount expenses will easily bring a total to $6000.