That's not correct Chuck... I know many wealthy LDS people that donate stock for tithing. They will only accept the "larger" stocks, such as Apple, Google, Amazon, GM, Ford, etc... but they do take it, and lots of people use that option.

On 10/13/2016 6:21 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:
My church only takes dollars...

*From:*Af [] *On Behalf Of *Lewis Bergman
*Sent:* Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:49 AM
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT: AAPL

I use this tax strategy years ago and it enabled me to donate more money and pay less tax.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016, 3:45 PM Jon Langeler <> wrote:

    Thanks for the tips! AAPL may be a good buy right now but not a steal

    Jon Langeler
    Michwave Technologies, Inc.

    > On Oct 12, 2016, at 12:07 PM, Travis Johnson <> wrote:
    > I'm all in on AAPL at $114 (a few weeks ago). Keep blowing up
    those phones Samsung... LOL
    > This is a longer term investment... making 2% dividends is
    better than most bank CD's or savings accounts, and Apple has made
    a 16% annual return over the last 5 years. Even if their stock
    just holds (which it won't now because of the Samsung thing, etc),
    it's making 2% and it's still "liquid" according to the banks,
    which helps on personal financial statements.
    > AND, the new hip thing to do is donating stock to your church as
    a charitable donation. You don't have to pay the tax on the
    increase if you sold it first, you just transfer it at the current
    value. Amazing the tax tricks these church going people come up
    with... LOL